Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The end is near

It is officially 2 days until graduation and I have to say, it's surreal. My fellow nursing student friends and I have been counting down the days for two and a half years by various methods....a virtual countdown box on their myspace page, a paper chain they made with their kids, a mental note of time remaining down to the minutes and seconds, and now it's here. My new feelings are unexpected. I expected to feel fully prepared and ready to get out there and be on my own. But, now I know that the real learning comes through pain, that is, making mistakes on the floor. I'm told the real learning occurs when you are in that situation the first time. What do you do? How do you react? What could have been done better? The responsibility of what lies ahead is weighing on my mind. At the same time, the excitement of this achievement overwhelms me. Could it really actually happen this time? The G word? After countless transfers between schools and two babies, and a few hospitalizations...could it really come true? It might be sappy, but it's true. I'm grateful for this day that's coming. There were times that I didn't think it would come. There were times that I considered giving in. Maybe it was a character flaw or maybe I had too high of expectations for myself and I thought I could do something that was really out of reach. When I looked at my girls though, I realized that I wanted to teach them a lesson in their lives. That hard work produces achievement, even in the face of adversity and set backs. I wanted to show them that education means something, and even though they won't know it for a long time, I did this for them and for me. This means a better life for them, for us.

I'm in awe of the responsibility that awaits. I'm amazed that I have the priviledge to be present during someone's time of need. I'm proud of this upcoming day. I'm excited for my party even though its supposed to rain and be cold. I'll be there eating pasta salad and enjoying the moment. I hope you'll join me.

Finally, thank you everyone for your support, kind words, and encouragement throughout. I have friends and family to rival all. There are those who babysat my girls when I had a big paper due, those who called to sing me ridiculous songs of encouragement on my voicemail, those who called to ask how it was going, those who loved to listen to the nursing stories, those who let me vent and freak out over an unknown test result. Most of all, thank you to those who knew I could do it, and believed it no matter what. What a gift you have given me. Ok...now pray for BOARDS!

:)

Mel

3 comments:

Kendra Wheeler said...

Mel...I am so happy for you! I respect and admire you so much for never giving up. Your two beautiful girls have an incredible hero to look up and you show them such a good example of what it means to be a strong woman. Congratulations on this HUGE moment and accomplishment. I am so proud of you.

Lianna said...

You're gradumatated! I request more frequent posts now that you have so much time on your hands. (kidding about the time, not kidding about the posts.)

Proud of you!!!!!

Lianna said...

...waiting...

:)