Sunday, May 13, 2012

To: Mom

My mom is a beautiful woman. She is smart, first off. She is a counselor, and she dedicates her life to others. Need I say more?

Yes, I do.

I remember a lot of things about my mom from when I was young. I remember her cooking in the little matchbox of a kitchen we had in Waterloo. I remember peonies and walks. I remember being read to and tucked in.

Later, I remember her typewriter that was in her office in Traer. She was a music teacher, and I don't know why they had a typewriter in that office, but they did. I have typed on a typewriter in my life. My kids should know that.

I remember watching her in awe as she played trumpet in the symphony. I remember sitting up in the top row of the auditorium and listening to her part. I remember she had to wear black for that. A black, long dress.

My mom made lists for us with chores we could choose from, and she left notes on our table if she left early in the morning. She made beautiful dinners and created fabulous Christmases for us. I remember the year that all I wanted was a black leather jacket in high school. I never dreamed they would buy it for me, but it was there. I still have that jacket, and I love it. (For the love language people out there, I'm a gifts/acts of service type of person). :)

I have warm memories of my mom. One where she is laying out behind our white privacy fence in Traer, with Skin-so-Soft slathered on her body and cotton balls over her eyes. Our strawberry patch and our pantry. The routine she created for me and my pogo ball for the talent show. What's a pogo ball kids? I don't know that I can adequately explain that. Google it. 


I remember once when I was so, so sad. Life was unfair. I was a teenager. I was sobbing uncontrollably in my bed. I had never been so sad, or felt so alone ever before. I remember she came upstairs and sat next to me while I cried. She said nothing at all. No lecture, no life lessons. She was just there.

Over the years, this way that she has of just being there, has continued to change my life. She has been there for each birth of my children. She has been there, holding my hand each time through the pain and tears and joy. She has seen each baby's first breath.

She has come when I've been sick. She has come when I have been overwhelmed by the world and the mess around me. She has come to celebrate. She wouldn't miss a birthday for the world. She has come to plant gardens and flowers and trees and to beautify land that was dead before. Not for her, but for me.

My mom has taught me the kind of mom I want to be. She has taught me the kind of person I hope to be.

I want you to know that I love you Mom! Thank you for all that you have done for me, for us, for everyone. Thank you for always being there.


2 comments:

Jane D. said...

What an AWESOME tribute to your mom! Yay God for Jan Powers!

K said...

This is so beautiful. Your mom is beautiful, and you, my dear friend, are beautiful. Happy Mother's Day!