Monday, December 8, 2008

Santa and the poor people

After learning about Toys for Tots at church yesterday, Olivia posed this question in the car: "Mom. Why doesn't Santa give presents to the poor people? That doesn't make sense!"

Errg. My stomach dropped. Yes, it now appears like Santa skips over poor people because she was told that some kids wake up with no presents under their tree on Christmas day because they are poor. Yikes. Another flaw in the Santa theory has been found.

Think fast Mom! I wasn't ready to break the news to a precious 5 year old heart. Geez, I believed in Santa until the fifth grade when a fellow classmate made a joke about it...."Yeah, like Santa's real". WHAT??? Anyway, I told her that Santa will find a way to get poor people a present on Christmas day, whether its by another person or by Santa himself or that he might ask God to help out too. Sometimes presents aren't always wrapped up either. Someone might serve the poor people dinner, or drop off food at the food bank. They might get a new coat or a hat. But we'd take a present to church too, just in case they need more than one.

Questions from children that make me sweat also make me think about the true structure of things in our society. Sometimes things just aren't set up right, and our traditions may be flawed. Children may be the first to point these out. Olivia Noelle always keeps me on my toes. :)

So we will bring a toy for a tot and hopefully make a poor family's Christmas. Maybe I'll tell her Santa told me to drop it off. Hmmmm.....all this work to try to preserve a childlike wonder, an excitement to rival all others, wondering even if it doesn't make sense....is Santa real? Wouldn't that be fantastic? For now, we'll keep up the facade. I just can't let go yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took the easy way out when you were little. When you asked questions, I said I wasn't so sure about Santa and to ask your dad, because he was a true believer.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I totally believed in Santa until I was 12!