Saturday, December 20, 2008

So what?

This may mark the longest blogging hiatus ever taken by myself. Where have I been? Well, Christmasing of course! Sophie had her first Christmas program last week and Olivia got to sing a song on stage too! It was really fun to watch them perform. I was there with my mom and Steve, sitting in a pew in the church next to the daycare, watching my girls in front of lots of other people....waiting for a mishap that I couldn't control....noticing how out of reach they were from my grasp, knowing I couldn't even holler at them to stop any negative behavior. What would they do?? What might they say?? I bit my preverbial fingernails. But look how cute they were!

Let me tell you, the program went off without a hitch. Except when Sophie noticed Uncle Dan slipping in a few minutes late next to Amy and Hannah in the back of the church. Sophie already towers over all other three and four year olds. She has neon bright highlighter style hair. She was wearing a red sweater. Did we need to stand out more? YES!

"UNCLE DAN!!!!" she screamed waving frantically. This was during a beautiful rendition of "Away in a manger" that the pastor played softly on his acoustic guitar while the good children sang......"UNCLE DAN!!!!! WHERE'S HANNAH?? AMYYYY! WHERRRRRRE'S HANNAH???? HEY UNCLE DAN! HI AMY!!!!" Visualize a lot of waving and very loud yelling. Dan desperately tried to stop the scene by holding baby Hannah high up in the air for Sophie to see. "Here she is". He mouthed to Sophie. "Sing!" he tried to convey. I leaned forward in my pew and tried to loud whisper Sophie's name while making sign language at her to just sing! For goodness sakes, just sing!!!! Oh no. Why should she?

Well, to top all things off, the director of the daycare came forward with a beautiful cake adorned with one lone candle. The kids sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. As soon as the director got to the front of the church with the cake, Sophie dives from the third row up to be the first to blow out the candle. Thanks Sophie. Knock those smaller kids down. Don't let them win! Oh geez.

I apologized to the director afterwards for Sophie's rock star antics. She just laughed and said, "This has been the best concert to date!"

So.....So what? Sophie's a rockstar. She's got her rock moves. And she doesn't need meeee and guess what? She's having more fun. And now that that's done, she's gonna show you tonight....she's alright.....she's just fine! And mom's a spazzz so....So what?

We got some good family pics afterwards, along with some pics with Sophie's awesome preschool teachers and her little best friend Abbey. Night complete. We left very proud parents of both of our tiny singers, rock star antics and all. Merry Christmas!


Sophie and her teachers

Me and the girls

Grandma Jan and Hannah

Uncle Dan and Hannah

1 comment:

Lianna said...

I love the pic of you and your silly girls! :)

gnotshim

I think that's the best one yet!