Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The S word

SNOW. Geez. Thank you Iowa for the craziest snowstorm I can think of. That doesn't mean much actually because I have a HORRIBLE memory....increased by the working nights thing. While doing Christmas cards this week, I simply could NOT remember people's last names. They weren't far off ancestors either. People I know well....family. I was scaring myself so I just broke down and googled them.

Anyway, the s word has arrived in Iowa with a big bang. 16 inches or something ridiculous...

When it began to snow, it was sort of fun. The girls even convinced me to join them outside for a bit to play. I put on Steve's snow gear (about 3 ft too long in the legs) and pulled on his boots (about 4 sizes too large) and stomped out into the wilderness. Actually, we live in town and it really wasn't that bad out yet...but for me to voluntarily play in the snow was big and I want you to recognize my greatness as well.

We had some good moments, surprisingly! We did some snow swinging and snow tackling, which made the girls and I laugh a lot. They'd run and plow into me and I'd throw myself back as far as possible, pretending they knocked me down. All fun and games til Rosie Posie Clark (our lab doggie) entered the scene, right on cue...with some disturbing humping and hat stealing. She has a way with the children. We scolded her and exited the back yard for less hostile territory and some cocoa. This was before, of course, the real storm hit.

I won't bore you with details of this storm, as you can find them in any paper or news channel or you live here. Needless to say, we all won ourselves a snow day today. Steve's boss told him not to come in unless it was 50 degrees and sunny, which we took as a pretty safe bet he wasn't driving in.

So what does a family of 4-5 including doggie do on a housebound snow day? Hmmmm...we have no answers really. There was lots of tattling, baking, napping, whining, etc. But, no matter what WE did on our snow day, there are plenty of positive activities out there to do. Here's a link to a story on such activities. I'd like to highlight the one about filling glasses with water.....it's in a whole league of it's own awesomeness...or sadness...not sure. :)

Happy S Day, Midwesterners! And boo on you Floridians....DAD. He actually told me on the phone he was getting "hot" putting up his Christmas lights today. Time to go in the air conditioning! All in the same USA. Can you believe it? You probably can. It's been happening this way for years.....

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200991209026

3 comments:

Tara said...

No snow here - I was getting too hot in my sweater yesterday :( Sad, sad scene indeed.

Love that you went outside with the girls - such a gamin' mama!

Love you woman,
Tara

Anonymous said...

It is OK that you cannot remember a snowstorm like this before - this is the worst one in 3 decades, so you are off the hook. I can't think of a good alibi for the forgetting of family names other than genetics. I had to look up Brandy's last name.

Tanya said...

Well I can't say that I miss that part of Iowa! We just got a few snowflakes here... love it.

Great job on playing in the snow though!