Monday, January 23, 2012

Carpe diem

When I read this post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html

I first thought this woman was misconstruing the real message behind well-meaning older ladies at the store. But as I read further and further, I realized I very much agree with her on one thing: honesty.

Man I'm tired of mom-liars!!! Sometimes your day super sucks. And recently, it is BEYOND difficult to take care of Eli. Every 5 seconds (or less), he is doing something else either life threatening or truly disgusting.

One of the main goals I have for writing in the first place is to tell the truth. I want this so that the mom reading one particular truthful post will see that she isn't the only one that had to scrape something unmentionable from the tongue of her child today.

Being a mom is hard. It's beautiful and wonderful and has no comparison. But it is hard. And I'm so thankful for the opportunity.

But this gal's right about one thing....I long for another woman to be as understanding as this:

"It's helluva hard, isn't it? You're a good mom, I can tell. And I like your kids, especially that one peeing in the corner. She's my favorite. Carry on, warrior. Six hours till bedtime. Let me pick up that grocery bill for ya, sister. Go put those kids in the van and pull on up -- I'll have them bring your groceries out."

Wouldn't it be great Mom Nation?!  





 

2 comments:

K said...

Love this, Mel. And I love your heart and your honesty. Both beautiful!

DebB said...

I love this post!! Keep the writing and inspiration coming!!!