Friday, April 20, 2012

I Blame Eve

I just finished reading the third and latest book that I've read by Susanna Foth Aughtmon, I Blame Eve

 

I know I always say this, but this one was my favorite! I think. No, I love them all for different reasons.

This book explores the aftermath of the oh-so-famous choice that the first lady of human-kind made on behalf of all of her successors and what these means for us as women. Once again, Aughtmon is dead on, nailing the similarities between us and Eve blow for blow. Through Aughtmon's words it was made obvious to me that if Eve hadn't made the fatal choice to walk away from God's law that day in the garden, the next gal would. You would have. I would have too. 

One of my favorite illustrations that Aughtmon makes is in the chapter, "I Want to Hide From God." She says, 
"We have all been there. Afraid. Hearing God come near. Asking us what in the world we have been thinking and why we are hiding from him. It is a scary place to be. Terrifying, really. But here is the thing. There was no help in the trees for Adam and Eve. All they have on hand is their fig leaf skirts and their fear. And just like them, there is no help for us either when we stay hidden, keeping our hearts and lives from God, tucking away our sins, and peering at him from behind leafy branches. When we stick to the trees, when we harbor our sins in secret, we remain separated from the only One who can help us, the only One who has a solution for our dilemma. When God calls us out, even with knees knocking and our palms sweating, we have to come out . I don't think it's a coincidence that the Greek word most often used in the New Testament for church is ecclesia, or "called-out" ones. God has been calling us out by name, one at a time, since the time of Eden. He knows we can be changed only when we come out of hiding into his presence."

She goes on to tell the reader that God calls us out by name because he loves us. He knows there is healing and grace where He is and not in the dark places we hide, (as if we really could hide from God). He calls us out because he loves us, and reading this revelation from Aughtmon was a refreshing reminder of this. 

I'd really like to talk about every chapter in this book in depth, but that's not possible here AND I'd rather you buy this book and share it with a friend. But before I let you go and buy this, I want to highlight my very favorite chapter....the one that brought tears of recognition into my eyes. A necessary, but stinging revelation as she painted a picture of what she called the "Eden Gene". Basically, the Eden Gene is the gene within our beings that make us believe we deserve more....a little more pampering....just the best of everything...perhaps a life on a beach somewhere...servants attending to our every need. It's the feeling that the grass is greener. We deserve that soft green turf. It's the feeling that lurks within us that tells us that we deserve something more than what we've got. Why isn't God giving it to us? Aughtmon says this is where the snake comes into the picture. She says, 

"Into this place of wavering and discontent slithers the insipid snake, prodding and poking us with his words. 'Wow, are you really going to wait that long to get the life you want?' or, 'Why don't you make your life the way you want it now?' This line worked so well the first time on Eve that he figures he'll give it a second shot with us."

Wow. This hit home, as I can vouch that these thoughts run through my head most days of the week. I must also have the Eden Gene. 

However, Aughtmon also speaks of the plan that God has for our lives and the promise He has for us that his plans are good. She says we know that one day things will be grand in heaven. There will be no more "cellulite or taxes or gossip". We know this is true, but we truly lack patience as a people she points out. 

I felt like she was calling me out on this one. Like I finally had a diagnosis for my disorder. I have the Eden Gene!

Once again, Susanna Foth Aughtmon's whole book is overflowing with insight, humor, and honesty. Her writing is infectious and heartwarming. You just get the overall feeling that Aughtmon and you, the reader, well, you go way back. She gets you from page one. You're left wondering how she got the dirt on you in the first place. This book is God-breathed and necessary for any woman walking the planet. You'll find yourself in every page. I guarantee it.

1 comment:

K said...

Thanks for sharing, Mel. Next time we'll have a book club over virtual coffee. :)