Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Succeed

This poem was written on the graduation card my mom gave to me. My mom wanted me to realize my success within the right terms. I hope you realize your success in it too.

To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
to know even ONE life has breathed easier because you have lived.

THIS is to have succeeded.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

PS. I love my mom!

2 comments:

Lianna said...

I love your mom, too! And I love that quote. And I love you, sista!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I need to check my email and family blogs more often!!! Thank you, Melanie! I sure do love you!