Sunday, September 21, 2008

That's how you know

Today is a beautiful fall day. I know it is fall, even though it feels a bit like summer still, because I am cleaning and organizing and throwing away and taking to Goodwill. I just finished scrubbing the kitchen floor...by hand mind you...something that I almost never do (except in the fall), but those baseboards looked so dirty and you know there's always those crumbs where the broom and mop don't reach like behind the fridge and under the stove. I took down tiny short sleeved shirts and itty bitty tank tops and replaced them with long sleeved tees and little cardigan sweaters. I washed the sheets in bleach and dusted the living room. I paid Olivia enough money for a pet shop animal for sweeping out the garage. Football games play in the background no matter what, no matter if anyone is watching them at all. The girls are playing in the front yard with their buckets of mud and bubbles, sticks and leaves, sand and rocks, making me a cake. Call me crazy, but this just might be the best day ever. And to think it could be with all the cleaning and organizing, but there really is something refreshing about a new start or a new end, like to a season. A chance to start over, or maybe a chance to do something you haven't had time for in years...like scrubbing the baseboards. Tonight there will be chili and wine and cheese and crackers. Cranberry mandarin candle on my tv. I will sleep like a baby and so will the girls and Steve will be back from his hunting trip and I feel like Laura Ingles after a hard day on the prairie, only better because I have warm water for my tub tonight. And I use a nice washer and we don't make our soap. So there you have it. The perfect Sunday day. The girls are wrapping presents for me. What a world.

2 comments:

Lianna said...

Aww I want to be there!!! Sigh.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous life and outlook you have!