Monday, June 15, 2009

Camp

So, we ventured out on our first camping trip of the year. As with every "first" of the year, there were a few things we'd do differently. One, I packed my camera, but couldn't find it later. Two, we needed a flipper for the steaks. Three: more than one air mattress for Steve and me. But, these things are of fairly small consequence.

On Friday, Steve came to the campsite over his lunch "hour" and helped us set up our new tent. Since getting married nearly seven years ago, we have doubled the size of our family and our kids have quadrupled their size, necessitating a new, much larger tenting facility. So, the girls and I ventured out for our last minute camping needs and we found a new tent that would meet our space requirements. Steve also had bought me a screen tent the year before for my birthday. That tent is perfect to put over your picnic table to keep out the bugs...IF....you can put it together.

On Friday, Steve and I successfully set up the tent about 2 minutes before it started to pour down rain from the heavens. And it didn't stop. It rained into most of the night on Friday. We went out to eat and visited Steve's sister in town. We visited another campsite where our friends were staying, more comfortably, in a camper. But we returned to our soggy abode later that night and slept like newborn babies. Not at all.

Saturday was much more pleasant! Mom brought me out a latte and a pumpkin muffie from Panera and we went to Polk City's city wide garage sale! This might not excite anyone but me, but we had a blast! At one particular garage sale, I found a ton of brand new, still in package, scrapbooking sets, stamps, and empty photo books. Score. At the next, we found a beautiful bed set, looking very brand new, for the girls. Steve gave me strict instructions not to buy other people's junk. (Like that is possible at a garage sale). Anyway, when he called me to tell me there was this turkey decoy, aka a fake bird on a stick that is supposed to lure live birds to it to face their certain death, I calmly reminded him that I was under strict orders not to buy other people's junk. Then I went and picked it up for him and put it in our front yard, laughing hysterically. Then I called him to see if he saw our gift in the front yard, and he said, "Yeah. I could hear you laughing down the street." Whatever. I was totally sneaky.

So, the garage saling was a hit. And I got to spend some good time with my girls and my mom, who is soon moving away to Iowa City again. Sniff....

In the afternoon, we cooked some kosher hot dogs on the grill (kosher is a must if you ask me ;) and savored every last bite until it was time to go boating on Dan & Amy's new boat. Lianna joined us too! It was really fun. The sun peeked out for us and Steve got to wake board and Mom got to watch in terror as her son attempted large mid air jumps behind the boat. We had a great time. The girls even got in to swim. I stuck my toe in the water and realized it was still about 49 degrees and decided I knew better.

Saturday night was perfect camping weather. Steve made a fabulous fire, we cooked steaks and potatoes on the grill, made smores, lit marshmellows on fire, rode bikes, and played hide and seek. Then we were exhausted and hit the air mattresses and slept like.....

newborn babies

again.

But that's what Sunday is for right? Napping off a no sleep weekend? Oh, and next time, I promise to take pictures.

This weekend reminded me a lot of weekends growing up. Dad and Mom would take us out camping too. We'd have to pick up sticks from the ground where our tent would go. We got special treats like rainbow drinks and pop tarts that were never in our house on any other occasion. We'd fish and hike and play rambo in the woods. We'd have fires and play night games like hide and seek. It was a time before cell phones. And after I left mine in someone's car this weekend, I was without cell phone too. After the initial panic subsided, I kind of liked it. Nothing to do but whatever we wanted to do. No calls to make or answer, and I realized, I didn't need anything that I didn't already have. Family was there. We were having a blast. And I can't wait to do it again.

4 comments:

Dan said...

It WAS a good weekend. Isn't Summer awesome?!

hobbio

Lianna said...

Glad I could run off with your cell phone to improve your weekend!

And let's not forget... "Ra-ta ta ta ta, Ra-ta ta ta!" in the tent! :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad I got to be a part of your camping/garage saling weekend! I brought back good memories of our own family camping trips, too. Oh, and don't forget shadow puppets (mating bunnies, puking dinosaurs, etc.)

Lianna said...

Oh, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop calling barrels "rainbow drinks". They're barrels, mmmkay?