Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Old Glory

We were on our way back from Sioux City this weekend where I, yes I, learned to ride a motorcycle.

I KNOW!!!!

Anyway, on our way back it was rainy on I-80, and the sky was swirling with a sick yellowish green soupy swirl. So Steve and I decided to turn on some AM radio to see if we were missing something serious weather wise. The kids caught wind of our conversation and concern and started freaking out...."Oh!!! We're going to DIEEEE! We're going to die in a tornado!!! Hellp us!!!"

And so on. And so forth.

So much so, that we started singing songs to calm everyone down. First, it was all the God songs we could think of. After Jesus Loves Me, Sophie went straight into, "Ohhhhh, Donnnnna....oh, Donna."

Right.

Then, Steve, known well for his amazingly BAD singing voice, broke into The Star Spangled Banner. After a rousing version of that by all the kids and Steve (I was laughing too hard to sing), it was quiet for a moment. We passed a rest stop, standard with bathrooms, candy machines, and a big American flag.

Like she has revered it all of her life, Olivia sighs while looking wistfully out the van window...

"Ah," she says. "Ollld Glory."

Steve and I looked at each other.....and then we peed our pants laughing. I laughed so hard that tears were streaming down my face. And every time I tell that story, I do the same thing.

Thanks to whoever taught her that phrase! Holy moly.

She's 8. But she sure knows Old Glory.

3 comments:

Jan said...

HAHAHA! You have the funniest little family ever! I am glad you are documenting these stories for posterity. the girls will die laughing at themselves when they are older and re-read these gems. Love you guys!

amy powers said...

Like "ride" as in "drive" ?? All by yourself? Did you get that on video? :)

Anonymous said...

What a funny story! Glad you've got things well documented!