Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Job=New Life

The title speaks the truth my friends. My new job is fabulous. I love it love it love it. I am learning TONS of new stuff. I've been all cardiac and old people up until now, and now I'm young and mamas and babies. What could be better? Now I know some people are not excited about checking other women's hoohas, and I'm not either, but I am excited about helping them have a baby, and being there on the biggest most memorable day of their lives. THAT, I'm excited about. I'm also excited because these nurses in L&D do it all. The doctors show up sometimes at the end, sometimes not. I sit there in awe of the numerous stories of nurses delivering the babies. Could that really be ME? Would I panic? I hope not. It is, after all, what I'd like to do someday. Or is this now? Oh geez.

At the new hospital, which opens the first week of September, the birthing center won't have a NICU. This means we have to learn all the neonatal resussitation, meds, intubation, the whole lot. We don't have backup there. We just have to do it. I sit now in nervous silence....

Anyway, I'm enjoying each day I orient to this new baby world. I am overwhelmed by the responsibility that lies in wait of the more experienced self down the road (and it's really far down the road). Will I really be able to do this? The answer is yes.....because I have to, and that really is the push to do the things we can't imagine doing or don't think we can do. Because if you are the only one standing there when the baby isn't breathing, who else will do it? So study I must. I've been given a book to memorize. It's large, really large. But I have to, and I want to, but can I?

Self doubt looms. I think I'll shove it down deep and jump in. This is too exciting not to.

Stay tuned :)

3 comments:

Tara said...

Mel!

I'm so excited for you and SO proud to call you friend. And nurse. And daughter of God! I love you sister, and truly believe you have a special anointing on you to be in this profession! You are amazing and God will *always* have your back because you are his.

I can't wait to talk to you on the phone soon!

Love,
Tara

Anonymous said...

Do you know how proud I am of you? I am excited for your new job right along with you, my daughter!

Tanya said...

Congrats on the new job! That's just what you always wanted to do! I'm excited for you. And good job on working on a book... I can only assume it will be a bestseller. I'll index it for you if you want :)

Love ya!