Saturday, August 20, 2011

A day like this

Today I met some amazing people. Today was just an amazing day. There's no other way to put it.

Today I went to a writer's conference. This may sound boring to most of you, but to me...it was HEAVEN. They even had Mt. Dew, so it was for sure heaven.

First of all, Nicole C. Mullen opened for us with song. Not just song, but song that was performed with so much soul, sign language, spirit...it was so full of expression that it overflowed. I tried so hard not to cry. I hate crying. I really really hate crying. Especially in front of people. (Gasp!) But I just couldn't help it. Watching her perform was almost more than I could handle. Apparently, that is what it looks like when someone knows their gift is from God and uses it for the glory of God, with confidence, grace, poise, enthusiasm, honesty. It was more beautiful than can be described here. I won't ever forget it.

After that, we were filled with a vast amount of information regarding writing, publishing, marketing, agents, everything an aspiring writer would ever dream of knowing. More than I ever imagined receiving for my $35 registration fee. Pretty sure I spend that in latte's weekly. Oops.

I also met some fantastic people. I spoke with other people who all had different dreams, who all had different talents, but we all shared one hope: to refine, to hone our craft into what we always pictured it to be. I'm excited to get back to my book. There are peaks and valleys, I know that. I'm glad to be out of the valley and on my way back up the mountain.

Some inspiration for your day?

Check out this guy's blog. 

http://fourfeetsixinches.wordpress.com/
I met him, he impressed me with his humbleness, quiet strength, determination, and love for God, and I can't wait to read more of his stuff.


2 comments:

Tara said...

WOMAN! You went to a conference!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! SO excited for you and that it was such a beautiful day. I'm going to check out the blog you linked, but I just couldn't wait to tell you how stoked I am that you got to go do this!

Love you, baby,
Tara

Anonymous said...

Mel,
It was great to meet you as well. Thanks for mentioning my blog...is totally fine.
I agree...the conference was great! I find myself thinking about a lot of things that were presented that day...wish I had more time to process them, but its been really busy since getting back home.
It has been fun to look at your site and read a few of your posts.
Keep writing! You just never know where it will all take you. Blessings!
- scott