Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rin Tin Tin

We were watching my friends little girls tonight and I took them out for a walk around the block. When we got back, to my horror, I noticed Rosie's gate was gaping wide open. Guhhh. I didn't even have to look to know she was gone...looong gone. The kids, who were all filing nicely into the house to play, suddenly went on full red alert, running in circles madly. Olivia was screaming orders out to the smaller children, while our neighbor boy came flying out of the house, hopping on his bike, screaming "Don't worry! WHICH WAY DID SHE GOOooo.....?" Um....if I knew I would have found her by now.......? Eh, why even say it.

Steve hopped into the truck and began to look for Rosie Posie Clark. After a while of sheer panic in the hearts of all of those under my care under the age of 9, a police officer began to circle the block. Should I stop him and tell him Rosie is lost? I asked my friend next door. Do you think I should stop him? He circled again. Police are here to help us right? So I flagged him down. As he slowed I rushed to the window and said, We lost our puppy!

And that's when I saw her. Rin Tin Tin...K9 Cop, riding like a jail bound criminal in the back of the cruiser.

She was breathing heavily. She looked pitiful.

"Nope. Haven't seen her. This is MY canine," he said.

A joke. Phew! This was a good sign.

But short lived.

After that I got a somewhat frightening schpiel about some kind of civil disobedience citation or something for letting my dog run free. I smiled a lot as he spoke. Rabies...children..blah blah blah....I did a lot of nodding and smiling. He found our dog! Isn't that great? What? Registered? Um...we did that. I think. A while back. When was it due? Huh? Well.....maybe. No, her tag broke off. Yes, I realize that doesn't help you. A $25 fine? No? A warning? On our record? Wait, I have a record? Polk City has records on people? I decided to smile more. I told him about the little girls I was watching tonight and how they opened the gate and I didn't know it. Hmmm....he's still talking about a citation. Now I've given him my address and phone number.

Aw, what the hell. Take the damn dog back to doggie jail! I want to LIIIIVE!

BOOK EM DANNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: