Monday, October 10, 2011

Why do we try?

I wanted to meet my friend, Erica, for coffee this morning. She had to drop off her oldest at preschool, then had a bit of time to meet me in between that time and her dentist appointment. I had a baby boy who just went back to bed a short time before we should have been leaving the house.

Soooo...we did it anyway. I dragged a snotty nose sleepy boy out and assumed his paci would buy me a little time. We made the trip and we walked into a very lovely coffee house to meet our friends.

The first 5 minutes went well. 

5 minutes later, the gentlemen next to us did me a favor when Eli threw my cell phone and it shattered into pieces on the floor...he ignored it. He acted like we weren't even there. Awesome. No judgmental looks, no glaring. Better yet, no advice.

He also ignored when my friend's baby spit up as she sat up from eating. And he ignored when Eli took my van keys and ran to the door, which was apparently much less heavy than I anticipated, as he opened it up with ease. He then ignored me running to the door to grab the baby who then started screaming and arching his back and screaming, and arching his back. I tried the sippy, the car keys, the diaper bag, a free edition of kids magazine....finally we agreed to go outside to the patio.

Eli wouldn't have this either. After banging his head on a table, falling, trying desperately to get around our, what I think was a well thought out barricade, and finally just losing his mind....Erica questioned whether people might be wondering why we even tried this morning. Was it worth it...to go through all of this??? She decided yes. Because this makes us real people, right?!

Hahhaha! I laughed. Of course it was worth it....I said, as I scooped up my screaming toddler with snot running down his face, SURE IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!

And then we agreed to meet at someone's house next time. A place with gates and heavy doors. Maybe a padded room (for me).

Babies-1

Moms-0

But I did get to see my friend, and I did get to drink my latte on the way home. KAPOW!

3 comments:

Jan said...

I wish I could babysit while you go out with a friend. I would take a nap with him. Grandmas and toddlers are a lot alike. :-)

erica sloan said...

It may have been messy, but it was the brightest spot of my day! Loved reading this, Mel!

Tara said...

Get 'em next time, mamas. Long live the dream!