Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Real Simple?

As I look over my planner for April, two words flood my mind: BOOO HOOO! Poor April. It's a scrambled mess of pencil/pen scratchings on every day of the week, every week. My current habit: whenever I feel too busy for anyone's own good, I just buy a bigger/better planner. That's my brilliant resolution to my busy problem. I'll just plan better...and bigger...and in a more stylish manner.  My current planner is a turquoise hardbacked REALSIMPLE larger than your wall calendar INDEX of busyness. Stylish...but frightening.What's even more frightening? It fits in my purse.

I don't know how this happens. I have the very best intentions. I really do. I don't push my kids to do things they don't want to do. Soccer was their idea. Getting roped into coaching soccer...my idea?? Girl Scouts. Liv's idea. Getting roped into helping out each week with Girl Scouts....my idea???

Oh, no. I feel a revelation coming on. This is some kind of trend, I'm realizing. It has to do with me.....hmmmm......let's push away that unpleasant thought shall we?

Dear pushover self:

Please STOP volunteering for everything you are asked to do. Do what you can, not what you expect yourself to be able to do. You are a good mom. You love your babies. Doing more and more doesn't make that more true, it just makes you later, more tired looking, forgetful, and a bit scary. And your planner is scared too. So chill it out....mkay?

Ok....

In the meantime, I'm going to try and focus on ONE day at a time, not the overwhelmingness of April. May is looking pretty blank right now. I'm making it my goal to keep it that way (with God's help and direction), because He knows my planning skills are downright scary....except at the time of my planning I think it's a fantastic idea and totally doable....that's even scarier.

Here's to you, happy mediums. I'm raising my coffee cup to you...I hear you are awesome.

No comments: