Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today

I've heard it said, "Today is the only (insert date here) that we will ever be given." This hits me deep, although it's not an extremely deep statement. Of course it's the only February 23, 2011. That's how it works. One day at a time. Duh!

But I know it doesn't really work that way. The days fly. They run together into weeks. I look at my weekly calender and on Monday, I'm planning for Friday.

I've missed out on many days over worrying about the next. I've looked beyond the day I was living in and looked at tomorrow, the next, or the next month. What happened to that day? I can't remember.

I just finished reading a new entry in a CaringBridge journal for a little girl that fought a very brave fight with a horrible cancer. I followed her battle because she was the niece of my dearest friend. I was reminded today, as they wondered how her 6th birthday would have been like, what she might have been like, that maybe I'd just appreciate and truly LIVE in THIS particular day TODAY. For today. With my THREE, count them, beautifully, wonderfully made, children. And my husband, who is cooler and cooler to me every stinkin day. Let's be honest....as I stumbled to Eli's room for the fourth time last night just like the night before, to pick up the crying little chubby baby to feed him aaaagain, I said in my mind, "Come on! Give me a break!" And then my second thought was, "Thank you God. This kid is amazing." Because he is. And he's here. And so am I. Today. Tonight, whatever. I'm going to work harder to remember this...

Today, is the only today I get.

2 comments:

Lianna said...

This is the perfect reminder I needed to help me get through having a sick little baby! Thanks for your wise words.

Tara said...

I love you, Mel. I read the post this morning and was crying. A mix of emotions causing the sadness to be sure, but more toward the self-centered, my-family-centered, sadness of Olaiya not knowing Anna. Not growing up with Anna. Anyway, I love you and love that you prayed for them and love them. I miss you, woman and love to hear your voice, typed or otherwise.

Love,
Tara