Thursday, July 12, 2012

Facebook smacebook

Have you ever had someone stop being your friend on facebook?

It's quite reminiscent of junior high when you show up and you find out through the grapevine that your best friend has decided she's not friends with you anymore. What did you DO? You run through the things it might be. The next day you show up and BAM! She wants to be friends with you again, and it's such a relief that you totally jump in because yesterday was terrible. It hurt your stomach. But she tells you after you agree to your refriendship, that the two of you aren't going to be friends with Penelope over there.

Poor Penelope.

Did you know Steve wanted to name one of our kids Penelope? It's funny, because that's on the list of funny names I'd only consider as a joke. Or a blog post. Sorry, Penelopes.

It's too bad too, because when you are UNfriended, you must search for a reason. Did they quit facebook altogether? That must be it!

No, there they are. Shoot.

Did they start over with a new facebook account?! That must be it.

No, they still have 492 other friends.

Am I annoying?

Probably.

Ok, I'm annoying. They specifically chose me because I'm annoying. Perfect. 

Well, I can accept this. Because.........I'm almost 30. 30 is rolling with the big dawgs.

I'm taking the time to write this here because someday all TOO soon, I'm sure the unfriending will start happening to my girls. I'm sure someone's going to torture them the same way. I'm sure they are going to freak out and examine every part of themselves to see what they did wrong. What is wrong with them? They'll wonder.

After a good inner self eval, look outward, girls. Sometimes, people just have to be mean. They have to put you down to feel better. Surround yourself with the good ones, the ones that make you laugh. The ones that you will be friends with still when you are 30, 40, 50.

Life is too short to worry so much about what other people think.

Chin up! It only took 30 years to convince myself of that. But I'd like to shave many, many years off of your total, girls. 


That's my favorite part of turning 30. My very favorite part.

"Maybe now I've conquered all my adolescent fears, and I'll do it better my next 30 years. My next 30 years, I'm gonna settle all the scores. Cry a little less, laugh a little more. Find a world with happiness without the hate and fear. Figure out just what I'm doing here, in my next 30 years." -Tim McGraw

(She's country, girls). Sometimes.



1 comment:

amy powers said...

I love this! I was afraid to turn 30, but it's really not too bad! You are an awesome mom and your girls are so lucky to have you! I'm lucky that you have to go through it first! :) I'm going to need all the advice I can get!

"the next 30 years will be the best years of my life..."