Saturday, July 7, 2012

I was alone

I was alone this week.....kind of.

Actually, I was down to a mere one child. Olivia and Sophie spent the week at Bam's house. It's a summer tradition for them and they love it. They look forward to it. They just can't wait!

It's a week that they get to be themselves, all on their own, without mom and dad, without the responsibilities that they have here. Wait. Do they have any responsibilities? Anyway....they think it's all for fun. And me? I call it yearly rehab.

What they don't know is that my Mom is on my side. She reminds them how lucky they are to have us, how much we love them and adore them. How they should treat us and each other. (Did I mention she is a counselor for children in real life)? BONUS! She builds them up and teaches them lessons. She takes them on adventures to caves and forests and beaches. They can be kids there, in Bam's home and garden paradise.

While they were off gallivanting, I learned a lot around here.

1. For one, and at a savings of a lot more than one, shockingly, all the groceries I had bought the day before they left were STILL THERE at the end of the week.

2. There was a bowl and a glass in the sink each night, and that's about it. Contrast that with the sinkful/counter-ful treat we all fight over after dinner most nights. This was a shock to the system.

3. Steve and I ate around 8 pm every night. Times didn't matter much. (Eli stuck to his strict 5:15 supper schedule). We caught up later.

4. I spend a lot of time freaking out about what's next when my kids are around. Not so much when they were away. My mom and I had an interesting discussion about this because she felt the same way. It's funny what these little people can do to their older counterparts.

5. It is QUIET around here. Even Eli didn't know what to do with himself. "Sissys?" he'd say as he walked into the door each day. "Yaya? Dophie? Where is she?" With his palms up. "Where are they?"

6. I love throwing away their stuff while they are gone. Who needs all these weird plastic toys? What are they anyway? Can we finally toss this broken ruler? Perfect. See? No one argued with me.

7. I love wine coolers. I don't care what you think. 

8. Finally, the largest lesson I learned is this: They complete my being.They are what I live for. They give me purpose and dreams and hopes and personality. They help me love life and appreciate the things around me. The bring LIFE wherever they go. When they are gone....it is noticeable. But they are in oh-so-good hands. Hanging with the Iowa City crew. Aunt Lianna, Uncle Shawn, cuz Lenora, GG Truesdell, Aunt Jo and the twins....life is good. They were missed. Now they're back, and all is complete again.

A big thank you to our Bam. We love you!


2 comments:

K said...

You and your mom rock. Love you!

Jan said...

The pleasure was all mine! But you are very welcome. Can I have them back now? Love you guys!