Thursday, January 29, 2009

Finding joy

January. Boo. Depressing moods and anxiety about the future has creeped up on me this month. What will I do? Where will I go? How can I pay for this or for that? This is a month that I've found has been difficult for a lot of people around me, and I wasn't safe either. After a few really awful weeks, I decided that I had to do something about this. So,

This week, I decided that I was going to create my own joy...right here at home. And joy, we have had! I have done the things I've wanted to do for months. Like, clean out the laundry room. And...wash my shower curtain. And....scrub the tub. And....walk the dog. Do the dishes every night. Fold the laundry right when it comes out of the dryer. Cook good meals and have the table set when my family comes in the door. Try and fail at new recipes. Make people laugh at work by showing them Debbie Downer from Saturday night live and examining our likeness to her. Saying "waaa waaaaahhh" after every negative comment makes everyone laugh. Making snowmen. Swinging outside. Playing monopoly with my husband a few times a week and beating him to a bloody pulp every time! Mwah ha ha ha. Nursing my suffering house plants back to life. Watching tiny green sprouts rising up again. Playing cards with Sophie. Doing puzzles on the table. Making homework time every evening. I get to see how smart Livy is, and I have the opportunity to encourage her (my favorite thing). There is a girl at work who loves the lotion I got for Christmas from my secret santa. It was only a tiny bottle. I left it by her desk and she uses it every day. (I love that.) I always smile and say, "I smell some really good lotion!", as I walk by her desk. And she smiles apologetically..."I can't help it! It's so good!" So I found it on sale, and bought her the big bottle. I can't wait to give it to her. I listened to a CD of our sisterly hits from the past that my sister made for me. There's something awesomely funny about this CD that only makes sense to two people. My sister and I. So I sing these songs as loud as possible the whole way to work every night. And I sing them at work. I get comments like: "I haven't heard that song in YEARS! Where did that song come from? Make it STOP!" Whatever. It brings me joy. I packed up a huge box of little girl clothes that my big girls have outgrown. Shoes and skirts and shirts and jeans..many of them practically new and am sending them on their way to our dear friends far away. This is a way for my heart to connect with theirs. Iowa to Ohio. I organized the girls' bedrooms with tiny totes. For some reason, this brought me joy too. I have read my new Bible whenever I get the chance, exploring things I've read over and over and somehow, something new always jumps out at me. Olivia and I shopped for the big food drive our church is coordinating. It feels great to be a part of something bigger than just us.

These things bring me joy in a month where happiness seems absent for a lot of us. And even though the things that brought me joy may sound ridiculous and weird to you...that's ok! Don't let January swallow you up. Spring is coming, but why not celebrate the now? What brings YOU joy? Share the love!

3 comments:

Lianna said...

It brings me joy to have a puppy sleep with her head on my shoulder so that I can feel her warm breath on my neck. I purposely move her around so that I can hear her make little grunting noises.

Strangely, tuna & noodle casserole also brings me a tremendous amount of joy. Always with frozen peas on the side.

I also find joy in church, when the band stops playing for the last chorus of a song, so that all you can hear are the voices of the people sitting around you and that's it.

tableati
(definition: tiny mobsters that hide under tables??)

Anonymous said...

What brings me joy? Your stories, your sense of humor, your kids, your memories, you. Thanks for this joy-filled blog.

Tara said...

I love you, Mel. You're a stellar example.

I pried myself off the computer and Naomi and I worked on puzzles this morning.

Dinner is ready in the crock pot. Yesss.

I've been blogging and photo editing for a couple hours today - creative outlet, woohoo!

I talked kindly to my children just now while they interrupted my blob commenting. It's the little things.

Miss you being with you,
Tara