Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Priorities

What your priority is, is what you make time for.

I've really learned this lesson lately. Either that, or I've decided that I must make time for things that are my priority. Time slips away.

For one, I've wanted to be a member of our church for about 3 years now. Each New Member Class Sunday, we've had plans, we've had prior engagements, we've had tired kids...whatever it may have been, we haven't done it. This made me wonder how I find time for shopping? Or working out? Or watching TV? I have time for Monday night football, and poker, and blogging, and cleaning....why not New Member Class? Because it wasn't my priority. I could have said it was, but again, what you make time for, is your true priority.

I've been thinking about time lately. Time is elusive. It slips through your fingers. It seeps through the hourglass.

This thought brought me to the conclusion that I needed to make a change. Change my schedule, change my lifestyle.

What could I do?

I want to be more active in our church. So, we made time for New Member Class. We're excited that we took that first step. Up until this point, we've been taking it all in, not giving back a thing. That will change soon.

I want to spend more time with my family. So, I'm working weekends only so that I can be home with my family most of the week. I'm working nights so I gain an extra day at home.

I want to be closer to God and go to church each Sunday. So, we're choosing church at 5 pm so we can still go to church together as a family even though I'm working weekends.

I want to support Olivia in school and be more active in her life. So, I'm choosing to pick up and drop off Olivia each day instead of having her ride the bus. It's a pain most days, but I live for the moment she turns around when she's almost inside the school door and waves. Not much good happens on the bus anyway! I also love working on her spelling tests with her at night, and listening to her read. I couldn't do that before. I either wasn't home or I was too tired to function.

I could be a sentimental idiot, (probably am), but that's ok! I've never been happier than I am this week. Home with blondie, house is clean, picking up Olivia everyday, no afterschool program, no daycare. I can BE there for once. I can spend time with God, work on my book, read to my kids. Time is on your side, if you make it that way.

I'm working to keep my priorities what I truly wish for them to be: God, family, health. Because if it were up to me and I go with what works out best at the moment, I'll sleep, eat, work, and watch TV my life away.

Um, No thanks. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a wise woman, Melanie Lynn! You make a momma proud and a grandma REAL happy!

Tara said...

So great to read this, mama. You have a new life! Wooooo! Here's to patients on your next shift!!!

Love,
Tara