Monday, July 7, 2008

Olivia's burdens

On our way home from daycare today, we dropped off our library books. Sophie cried and wanted her mermaid book back. I explained that we just borrow the books from the library and if we don't return them, they charge us money. Olivia thought about this for a few blocks and then said, "Mom, you don't have a lot of money. Good for you! People with lots of dollars don't have much anyway." Then, she said, "I just made that up. I don't really know." I told her she was right. If a person has a lot of money but no family or friends or happiness in their lives, they don't have much. I thought her made up words were insightful, really.

Later, Olivia whined and whined that dinner wasn't ready the moment we walked in the door. She told me to just heat it up in the microwave and I told her we didn't have an "it" to heat up. She wailed and wailed that she was SO hungry, STARVING, and she just couldn't wait. Then she told me, "I can't wait til I grow up and be an adult! Adults can do anything they want." I told her that it isn't much fun to be an adult. There are bills, and work, cooking, and cleaning. We don't get to play very much at all! Olivia then retorted that when she turned into an adult, she'd play all the time. I said, "Good for you honey! It's good to stay young." She shook her head and solemnly replied, "Mom. Sometimes it's so frustrating being a kid." :)

I smiled, and said, "I know honey."

Times are tough in Olivia's world. :)

2 comments:

mommyofmonkeys said...

Too Funny! Your kids always say the best things!

Anonymous said...

Olivia is my mentor. That's a pretty fun thought, isn't it? I love being her grandma.thanks for being the best mom in the world for her, Melanie. Hearing about her through your words helps me relive being with little 5 year old Melanie. Life is good.