Monday, July 7, 2008

What's missing?

You know what my friend Tara reminded me of today? Pictures! Her blog beats the crap out of mine because she has so many pictures! I must confess, this site boggles my mind at times and I've felt lucky to even get the slideshow up and running. But, I'm going to work on this. And I'm going to work on taking pictures more often. I was really good at it once upon a time back when the girls were itty bittys. But now, it seems the camera has somehow left it's place on my hip. Soon to return, I promise.

Olivia's kindergarten teacher's name is Mrs. Jones. Isn't that adorable? You always remember your kindergarten teacher's name! Mrs. Owens! That's mine. Isn't that great? I think I could name all of my teachers from the beginning of time. That means they have an amazing privilege, to be a BIG part of a child's life. Thank you teachers! I'm praying that Olivia continues to be her bright and shining, fearless self even amongst boys teasing and taunting and that one kid who just won't stop teaching her new words for body parts. I shall keep her innocent!!!! Someway, somehow. Or I might just cry in my minivan on the way to work, knowing that I've lost total control. Or maybe I'm a drama queen and I don't even own a minivan.

Anyway, this weekend was a weekend for home improvement, and although it now seems we did very little, it was a lot of work. We needed some extra supplies (and groceries) so we ventured out to Ankeny for sustenance. We stopped at BBops on our way out of Menards. The girls LOVE B-Bops. We took a family vote between Panchero's and B-Bops, only to have B-Bops win because of their fabulous outdoor umbrellas. As we were sitting, happily clogging our arteries, an older, slightly rough looking biker couple roared up and parked next to our table. They both de-biked while I did the silent mother's prayer, "Dear God, there's someone who looks different coming our way. Please please please let them pass by without my children pointing it out." That type of prayer. Just as they neared our table, Sophie exclaimed, "LOOK MOM! PIRATES!!! I knew it! They exist! There's real pirates! Look Olivia!" And honestly, Steve and I burst into laughter as we turned our heads away because for some odd reason, we've never made the connection between bikers in bandanas and leather and PIRATES! They look alike! I think the bikers pretended not to hear what had just happened and we all continued on with our days, Steve and I laughing silently behind our burgers. You really can't argue with innocent observation.

Today the girls started their new daycare. I can't wait to go see how it went. So, I'm off to pick up the princesses. Hope you all are laughing off mortifying moments too. They really can be funny.

Mel :)

4 comments:

Tara said...

WOMAN, you crack me up! Your minivan drama and the pirates were literally lol. (Look at me, I can rock the txting set NE day.) Seriously, I interrupted Kurt's Wii game of bowling. He now also misses you :o)

I love you and will be hanging out with you in SEVEN days!

Love,
Tara

Tara said...

Wait, I can't do math. That's FOURTEEN days. Call me eager. Call me excited - I'm going to see my girls and I can't wait.

Tanya said...

You gotta love Sophie! I'm still laughing.

Anonymous said...

Darrell and I laughed until we were crying over this one!