Saturday, January 30, 2010

Your anthem

I love music. I often say "it describes me"...which it does. If you have been reading my blog for more than one day, you know...there's always a song reference. That's because some songs cut straight to the heart of you; they can describe your situation to the letter; they can bring people who have never met before together, young and old, to a stuffy arena filled with smoke, both legal and illegal, to throw their hands up and sing (or scream) in unison. It's a fabulous feeling when that happens. When the instruments cut out and there's just drums and the sound of THOUSANDS of people singing in unison. There's nothing quite like it. Songs create a common goal amongst uncommon people. I love that. I love that one song can be loved by a four year old girl in the backseat of a car, just as much as its loved by a grandpa that first heard that song when he was a kid. Music is a gift to us.

There seems to always be a song that is "our song". The ONE song that when it comes on, over the radio, in your car, or at the pool or mall...you will stop a stranger, put up the three finger rock band hand sign and say, "This is MY song!" Or as Jay-Z would say, "this is my anthem so throw your **** hands up!"

Mine is, politically correct or not...and without taking the lyrics to heart and without implying anything about my personality, "You shook me all night long" AC/DC. There. I said it.

There is not a moment in my life when I have heard that song that I haven't dropped anything and everything I'm doing (unless holding a baby or something) and sang every word and cranked the volume to the max. At high school dances there'd be a crowd that'd form around me because they knew....that was MY song. :) Whippershhnappers. Young people these days. These days I should really be saying....THOSE days...as I am not (no matter how hard I try) 17 anymore. Sigh.

Anyway, without worrying what others might think because who cares anyway?...see? I've told YOU what my anthem is....please post YOUR anthem. As a lover of all that is musical...I've just got to know...and add it to my playlist. And everytime I hear it, I'll say..."This is (insert your name here)'s song" and I will sing it and I will dance it to the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright
Sunshiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
It's gonna be a bright, bright
Sunshiny day.
Look all around, there's nothin'but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skie..............................................................................s

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright,bright (bright)
Sunshiny day.

Clarissa said...

"Let Go" by Frou Frou (Imogen Heap)

drink up, baby down
mmm, are you in or are you out
leave your things behind
'cause it's all going off without you
excuse me, too busy you're writing your tragedy
these mishaps
you bubble wrap
when you've no idea what you're like

so let go, jump in
oh well, whatcha waiting for
it's alright
'cause there's beauty in the breakdown
so let go, just get in
oh, it's so amazing here
it's alright
'cause there's beauty in the breakdown

I think its days on the radio are over, but the song will never cease to yank me out of self-centered moping, and I cannot help but sing along whether I'm happy or sad.

Lianna said...

I don't know if this is my anthem for all time, but it's certainly my anthem right now! (and after every Hawkeye football victory! :) )

Everybody,
move you're feet,
and feel united! ohohoh!

D-d-don't stop the beat
I c-c-can't control the feet
p-p-people in the streets
cm'on everybody, move you're feet
Don't stop, (don't stop) don't stop, the beat
I can't stop, (can't stop) can't stop the beat
I won't stop, (won't stop) won't stop the beat
And GO

Everybody,
move you're feet,
and feel united! ohohoh!

Yeah, got the dance energy, oh yeah!

S-s-sing my song and
y-y-you sing along, just
p-p-put my record on
and all of you're troubles are dead and gone!

theresajane said...

Justin Timberlake: I'm bringin' sexy back.