Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happiness is

There was a song sung this Sunday, performed by two amazing members of our church, Lutheran Church of Hope. I've heard them sing before, but not together. The song was called Grace. It was so amazing, I wanted to jump up and dance like our occasional guests from Elam Christian Fellowship do, but my whiteness kept me sitting, tearing up, overflowing inside while they sang the most amazing song I've heard in a long time. Dangit. Why don't white people dance? Well, most of them don't anyway....and especially not in church. :) While that's another topic for another day, here's one for today:

happiness

I think happiness is one of those things that just is. It is when we don't think it is. It's there. It cannot be extinguished...if you know it's real source. It's the force behind a baby dancing in front of the tv for the first time, the kid in the front row at the State Fair who's headbanging at age 2, the tribes in Africa who dance as a part of their every day lives, to celebrate, to give thanks....it is the feeling that wells up inside of us when we hear that song that we haven't heard in so long. It is VBS, where the kids sing and dance without any inhibition, because it is a safe place, without fear, without judgment, without hatred. But even in places where fear, judgment, and hatred exist, happiness exists. No matter what.

I'm reminded of this by my momma's blog today (Thanks Mom!) who posted this post from the Oprah show:


http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprahs-Kickoff-Party-Flash-Mob-Dance

Like my sister says, make sure you hit the HI button when you watch.

And while, I've seen it before, it never ceases to overwhelm me. Why? One member of the mob described it as this: "It's what I picture heaven to be like someday".

Heaven just might be that place where we dance no matter what...despite being white and going to church in West Des Moines, IA. Because happiness.....just...is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttF5HVYtlQ


John 1:5 "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brighten my world, Melanie Lynn! When are we going to plan a flash mob party dance? Oh, and that laughing baby? I can't stop laughing with him, all the way through - and I have watched it many times now! I love it!

Lianna said...

I love that the baby will laugh at ANYTHING the dad does. He's not waiting for a giant tickle or a big peek-a-boo...he's just crackin up at whatever little noise comes his way! Maybe we shouldn't be so picky about what brings us our joy! Lessons from babies 18472689.

Debbie said...

A few blogs ago, you mentioned you had an anthem. After watching the Oprah dance, I just picked mine! :-) LOVE IT!