Monday, June 21, 2010

Toy Story 3



Due to a lack of physical activities I can participate in, where we would have normally gone for a walk on the trail or down by the lake, we PAID for a movie last night. A movie for four. Here are my thoughts...

A. I forgot how expensive movies are. Geez! And we even did the matinee type of deal. 

B. If you want popcorn and a pop, it will cost you an additional $17. I forgot that's why I used to smuggle in my own. I'll remember next time. 

C. Don't get there late because "there's lots of previews and I'm sure it will be fine"...especially for a movie that JUST came out. (We sat in front). 

D. Movies are really fun. There's quite a bit of return on your pay you made at the ticket booth. Beside the teenage girl who laughed as she screwed up our credit card charge and laughed as she told the manager and shrugged a couple of times and then snapped back into "professional" mode and asked if we wanted a copy of our receipt...."Um...YES?" In unison. Sometimes Steve and I are in fact, on the same page. Made me wonder if we paid $22 or $2222. Might want to know for "balancing the checkbook" reasons. 

The movie itself was absolutely glorious. I was a little shocked by the fact that it's been 15 years since the first Toy Story came out. Um, what? What's that make me? This movie satisfied the drug along adult just as much as the kiddo. I laughed out loud pretty much the whole time. I cried at the end. It was super fabulous. The new toy characters are PERFECT. The Ken doll is outrageously funny as is Big Baby with the half closed eye...who sets me over the edge laughing, even though he teeters on the terrifying/funny line.

This guy did a bang up job of answering people's real questions about the movie. His name is GeekDad and I think that's funny. Check it out here. We didn't pay for the 3D version, but none of us are huge fans of the whole 3D movement. Perhaps you are. 

I'd have to agree with Geek Dad from the link above. There were two parts my kids and I all found terrifying.
1) The horrifying cymbal monkey with red eyes and screaming
2) The incinerator scene

Both we were able to recover from, but it's good to know if you have a small one who's sensitive to these things. I remember carrying a hysterical Sophie out of Up last year when the bad guys tried to set fire to the balloon house. Real fat tears, screaming, and everything. We made our own scene on the way out of that theater. But we were quickly back into our seats that time, and this time wasn't nearly that dramatic.

This movie is a goodie. You should totally see it. Bring the fam....but don't forget to stash your own can of Mt. Dew and baggie o' treats. That's cheating. I get it. But I totally don't feel bad. 



3 comments:

Tanya said...

I've been thinking about taking the kids and seeing this... but the cost is inhibitive! Maybe we'll wait for video... but definitely sounds good.

ljk said...

definitely want to see this one, thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I "took Sierra and Savanna" to see Toy Story 3 today. they thought it was a good movie and they laughed several times. I thought it was the best movie of all time and I laughed out loud many times and completely soaked my face with tears several times. The incinerator scene was as moving as Titanic. The ending was perfectly beautiful and needs awards of some kind. I will buy this movie. Thanks for suggesting it.