Thursday, November 12, 2009

3 to 1

Yesterday, I overspent at Kohls. Weird. Anyway, the whole reason we went there was to get Steve a much need pair of jeans. He has two pair here at home. A nice pair. And a holey pair. How do men get by?! Apparently, I just don't get it.

Anyway, I dragged the girls in, or maybe I frantically tried to keep up with them as they darted across the busy parking lot....either way. I was also watching Hannah baby for the day, much to my delight, so I was toting a lil one around too, and a big diaper bag, and my purse. A little taste of the 3 kid life. I located the jeans quickly, because I know my shopping territory.

Savvvy.


Then I realized, to my dismay, I was down from 3 kids, to 1. Luckily, the one I had left was the one I was borrowing for the day. Phew! Thank God for strollers and buckles. I could hear my girls snickering as they darted from rack to rack, hiding from me. Ugh. Not in the mood.

I calculated my options. I refuse to play this game. So, I quietly moved the stroller to the center aisle and waited. Things got quiet. A minute passed.

"Mommy?" a voice ventured into the echoing Kohls atmosphere.

Not quite humble enough of a voice yet, I concluded.

I waited.

"MOOMMM?" Olivia called out louder.

She could just come find me if she wanted, I thought. Standing my center-aisle-obvious-out-in-the-open-air ground, I waited.

Soon enough, both of the girls came flying out of the racks and literally ran into me, nearly knocking me over. They were breathing heavy. They were looking up at me sheepishly. This is when I offered up my mommy wisdom to their open, repenting hearts.

"Girls," I started firmly, "We do NOT hide from mom in the racks. Nor do you leave the stroller's side for the rest of the shopping trip. DO you UNDERSTAND?"

Enthusiastic nods all around.

Ha. Fine then. On our way. Mommy magic wisdom has impacted them, definitely.

Then, ooh, what gorgeous winter coats! And on SALE! I stopped to admire. I tried one on. Perfect, plush, with fur, warm. I was smiling, inside and out. Hannah dropped her book from the stroller. As I turned around to pick it up, I glanced around. I sighed, deeply.

I was, once again, down 3 kids to 1. The racks were laughing at me...literally.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I like this tactic. I was totally prepared for you to rock their shopping worlds permanently. I stand with you while the racks laugh.

Love you babe,
T