Wednesday, November 18, 2009

British people? Help?

I would love to say that I've got it all together. I really REALLY would. Sigh.....

But alas, I do not.

My kids will NOT stop fighting. I sit and color with them, or we play UNO and immediately upon my standing up and walking away, one of them is screeching and barreling up the stairs screaming of the wrongs her sister has bestowed upon her. And honestly, I feel like I've played judge and jury for too dang long! I literally yelled "I don't care!!!!!!" even before whoever it was made it up all the stairs to find me last time (5 minutes ago). I'm thinking of hiding from them from now on. Seriously, I'm so incredibly sick of it. And their behavior has begun to spin me into an angry self pitying person in a near constant state of loathing. It aint pretty.

"She scratched me! She told me I was scribbling! She stole my puppy! She said my butt stinks! (That's a real one). She says I'm a baby! She took my crayon! She won't help me color my page!"

Those were from the last hour.

Make it STOP!

I've separated them. I've punished them. I've taken away play dates. I am out of ideas. All I know is, I can't stand one more tattle.

Help!!!!!!

Super Nanny? Anyone with a british accent that has wisdom? Actually, I'll take ANY advice....accent or not.

5 comments:

Lianna said...

Whenever a kid tattles to me, I always say the exact. same. thing: "What could you say to them?" Then the ball is in their court to handle their own problem. Once they've heard that a billion times, they take the hint that I'm not the police and they get bored tattling. Occasionally I say it this way: "Did you tell them how that made you feel?" If they happen to say yes, I just say, "Oh good, I'm glad you have learned how to express your feelings when someone makes you angry. What is your plan now?" Basically, it all comes down to always asking a question instead of giving them the answer. The only time I actually follow them in to where the problem is happening is if they come up to me and say, "I need some help solving my problem. I've tried this and it's not working. Can you help?" If they use that great of language and ask me kindly, I'm all about helping. Just my two cents! That's my advice. That's how I keep my sanity. Good luck.

Lianna said...

P.S. I'm not British, and certainly no Supernanny, I just HAVE to have strategies for dealing with these things or my life would be a nightmare.

Tara said...

Hmmm, glad I came here so I could read your American sister's advice. Sweet.

I often wish I had the rapport you have with your kids. Don't forget that.

Love you woman,
Tara

Unknown said...

Thanks for the strategery (love every time I get to use that word) :) Honestly though, I don't know where I'd be without my sister's tried and true practices and my best friend's encouragement. Lucky...lucky me! Thanks girls! Tomorrow is a new day. :)

Debbie said...

Lianna rocks! :-) Mel - you are SO not alone! In the same vein, we TRY to tell them, "You need to work it out with Mitch/Kate"... but I really like the question asking. Might work to help cool down those volatile toddler emotions!!