Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Follow me!

Hello everyone!

Most of you know, but some may not, that I have been working on writing a book. I absolutely LOVE every minute of it and am getting close to having enough material to be finished. When I say finished, I mean finished in the sense that I have enough material to have a complete manuscript. There is sooo much more to do other than writing. It makes me slightly dizzy just thinking about it.

Anyway, as I approach this territory, I've been researching the publishing world like crazy. What does it take? What is like? What do I need to do? What am I up against?

The conclusion?

It's nearly impossible to get published as a new author, short of a freak strike of lightning or a momentary streak of phenomenal luck on any given day. However, nearly impossible is very different than impossible, don't you think? It can be done. It's just difficult. And I'm not scared away....yet.

Through my research, it is clear that I need a platform to present to agents/publishers. A platform is people/organizations/places that you can personally count on to promote and guarantee to sell your books to IF you are indeed published. And although I am a small town girl from the Midwest, there are places that I can count on around here. In fact, Iowa is a beautiful state in many ways, including supporting it's very own writers/authors very well. So basically, I can count on Iowa. But I need more than that.

I recently read in a book about writing books, (weird, I know..), that when an agent presents a new writer to a publisher, the publisher can be heard typing in the background as the agent gives the pitch for the book. What are they researching? The new writer. Who is it? Where is their website? Do they have any previously published books, articles, journals, blogs? They need a face to the name and some readers to their material BEFORE they consider what the agent is proposing.

Phew. What does this all mean, especially to a new writer?

Ummm...not good things.

Why am I rambling about this seemingly meaningless publishing research crap?

Because I need you. I have this blog that I write in regularly. I've had a few SMALL things published in the past. Now, I need readership for my platform, even if it's from this tiny little blog about trivial things by a lil nobody mama in Iowa . PS. My book is written to other "nobody's" too. :) Fitting.

So, how can you help? It's easy. If you read my blog, please hit the FOLLOW button. It's on the blog page on the right hand side. You'll see pictures of others who follow it too. It will ask you for a small profile, only to identify you when you leave a comment. It is very non-threatening, I promise. :)

Then, please leave a comment when you read an entry. If it moves you...great! Tell me. Tell me what you like, what you don't like, what I can do better, what it means to you, your own experience with whatever I'm talking about....anything. I want to hear from you!

Anyway, everyone has to start somewhere. For me, it's here.

So....if you don't already, will you follow me?

5 comments:

Julie said...

I follow you. :) - Julie Wenell

Lianna said...

I check my blogger dashboard roughly 6 times a day to see if you've updated. I WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEREVER YOU MAY GO!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys!!!

Rev. Dave said...

Mel,

I'm in a similar boat--though not as far along with a manuscript or anything. Been trying to do some stuff for magazines or something first, but I've got a few stories started. I'm anxious to hear about the process for you and how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I with you every step of the way!